[Air-L] Looking for a free Wordpress site that allows template programming

matt g matt.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 05:21:54 PDT 2012

I agree with Alex here -- most hosts of multisite WP installs won't allow
users to upload PHP files. One bit of middle ground you might explore is a
WP platform that has the Custom UserCSS plugin and/or Atahualpa theme
installed. Custom UserCSS (
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-user-css/ ) allows users to
override theme stylesheets with their own CSS, and Atahualpa (
http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/atahualpa ) allows a great deal of
flexibility in layout and design from the dashboard.

If you want to go further than that and have students edit PHP files and/or
design themes from scratch, it's probably best to have students sign up for
their own hosting accounts, as Alex suggests. Doing so may have many
unintended benefits, such as teaching students to assume control over their
own web-based digital identities; see UMW's "A Domain of One's Own"
initiative for more on that:
http://www.wired.com/cloudline/2012/07/a-domain-of-ones-own/

Best,

Matt