[Air-L] Call for Tutorials ICWSM 13

Raquel Recuero raquelrecuero at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 08:58:28 PST 2012

Hi all,

This year, I'm co-organizing with Winter Manson the Tutorial Day for
ICWSM (Seventh International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social
Media). We are working hard to get more social scientists involved with
the conference and it would be awesome to have proposals from you all
:-). Tutors will receive 500 USD to assist with his or her travel to the
conference (max of 2 tutors per proposal).

Please, if you have any questions, send me an email. :)

Happy holidays!

Raquel Recuero

    Call for Tutorials

        Tutorials at the Seventh International AAAI Conference on
        Weblogs and Social Media

            Sponsored by the Association for the Advancement of
            Artificial Intelligence

  * Submission Deadline: January 15, 2013
  * Submission site:
    https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=tutorialsaticwsm13
  * Notification of acceptance: January 31, 2013

The ICWSM-13 Committee invites proposals for Tutorials Day at the
Seventh International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media
(ICWSM-13). The Tutorials Day will be held on *July 11, 2013* in Boston,
MA, USA. Anyone interested in presenting a tutorial at ICWSM-13 should
submit a proposal to the 2013 Tutorials Chair (Submission site
<https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=tutorialsaticwsm13>).

        What Is the Tutorials Day?

The Tutorials Day provides an opportunity for junior and senior
researchers to explore exciting advances in methods for capture,
analysis and visualization of online data. The tutorials will provide an
opportunity for cross-disciplinary engagement and a deeper understanding
of new tools and techniques than can be gleaned from short
presentations. The analysis of social media is rapidly advancing, and
these tutorials will help us to keep abreast of developments as we learn
from each other. Former Tutorials Days have been highly successful and
we expect a similar attendance and interest in tutorials this year.

        Topics

ICWSM is seeking proposals for advanced tutorials on cutting edge topics
related to the analysis and understanding of social media. We are
casting a wide net and are looking for topics in both the social and
technical sciences.

Each tutorial should provide either an in depth look at an emerging
technique or software package or a broad summary of an important
direction in the field. In-depth tutorials could focus, for example, on
NLP, software for visualization, social network analysis, text analysis,
qualitative inquiry, analysis with grid computing, field experiments,
among others.

Examples of broad summaries of the field could include an overview of
semantic web techniques, an overview of social capital and social media,
introduction to network analysis, lessons learned from social psychology
and so forth.

We encourage researchers to consider unique and novel tutorials that
will advance and enlighten. We will favor tutorials that embed
collaborative approaches and interactivity above tutorials that provide
a day long lecture. We will work with successful applicants to ensure
that infrastructure, software and online materials requirements are
fully met. Tutorial speaker will receive 500 USD to assist with his or
her travel to the conference. A maximum of two speakers per tutorial (or
1000 USD per tutorial) will be awarded travel grants.

        Submission Requirements

The tutorials proposal should be shorter than 4 single spaced 10pt
pages, and should include the following:

  * Tutorial summary: (< 400 words) This description will be placed on
    the website to attract participants.
  * Justification and Precedent: A brief summary of why this tutorial
    would help attendees advance the state of the art in the analysis of
    social media as well as examples of past examples of this tutorial
    by the tutor or colleague.
  * Prerequisites and outcomes: A description of the prerequisite skill
    set for the attendee as well as a list of goals for the tutor to
    accomplish by the end of the tutorial.
  * Requirements: A list of software, equipment and content that needs
    to be made available by conference organizers.
  * Biography: (< 2 pgs + appendices) Name, mailing address, phone
    number, email address; background in the tutorial area, including an
    abridged list of relevant publications and/or presentations;
    evidence of teaching experience (courses taught or references); and
    evidence of scholarship in computer science or social science.

Submissions must be in PDF format and can be made via the submission
site <https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=tutorialsaticwsm13>.
Presubmission questions can be sent to the co-chairs (Winter Mason and
Raquel Recuero) at the following address: icwsm13 at aaai.org