[Air-L] CfP AoIR 14.0 Resistance and Appropriation

Hector Postigo hector.postigo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 15:26:16 PST 2012

Call for Papers
Internet Research 14.0: Resistance and Appropriation
24-27 October 2013
Denver, USA

http://ir14.aoir.org/

Internet Research 14.0 will focus on the theme of Resistance and Appropriation. Many people think of the internet and related technologies as basic infrastructure — a field for everyday life. But this ignores the processes through which we decide to use the internet, and the complex relationships between social practices and technologies. We invite contributions that help us to understand these processes and relationships. The conference organizers particularly invite explorations of how people, alone or together, choose to use these technologies in ways other than their most commonly accepted uses.

To this end, we call for papers, panel and pre-conference workshop proposals from any discipline, methodology, community or a combination of them that address the conference themes, including, but not limited to, papers that intersect and/or interconnect with the following:

* The internet, technology and social movements
* Appropriation of content and infrastructure
* Reconfiguring meaning
* Reconfiguring participation
* The political economy of social-technical practice
* User-centered/originated design
* User appropriation and repurposing
* Contention, cooperation and organization
* Digital media artists

Sessions at the conference will be established that specifically address the conference themes, and we welcome innovative, exciting, and unexpected takes on those themes. We also welcome submissions on topics that address social, cultural, political, legal, aesthetic, economic, and/or philosophical aspects of the internet beyond the conference themes. In all cases, we welcome disciplinary and interdisciplinary submissions as well as international collaborations from both AoIR and non-AoIR members.

SUBMISSIONS

We seek proposals for several different kinds of contributions. As in the past, we welcome proposals for traditional academic conference PAPERS, organized PANEL PROPOSALS that present a coherent group of papers on a single theme, as well as PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS which focus on a particular topic. We also invite proposals that will focus on discussion and interaction among conference delegates. A common form of this type is the ROUNDTABLE SESSION, but we would also like to encourage other formats, such as OPEN FISHBOWL SESSIONS. (See the Wikipedia entry under ìFishbowl (conversation)î for a description of this format. Fishbowl sessions should cover broad topics of interest to a wide segment of the AoIR community.)

DEADLINES

Submissions Due: March 1, 2013 (Papers, Panels and Pre-Workshops. Details below)

Notification: May 31, 2013

SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS

All papers and presentations will be evaluated in a standard double-blind peer review, with the exception of Roundtable/Fishbowl, Ignite, and Preconferences, which will include the names of presenters and organizers as part of the refereeing process.

Format

SHORT PAPERS (individual or multi-author) – Minimum 1000 words, 1200 word maximum not including bibliography. Papers should include:

- Description/summary of the workís intellectual merit with respect to its findings, its relation to extant research and its broader impacts.

- A description of the methodological approach or the theoretical underpinnings informing the research inquiry.

- Conclusions or discussion of findings.

- Bibliography of work cited.

PANEL PROPOSALS – submit a description of 600-800 words on the panel theme, plus the SHORT PAPER for each presentation. The panel organizer must assemble these materials for submission.

ROUNDTABLE and FISHBOWL PROPOSALS – submit a statement indicating the nature of the discussion and form of interaction, and listing initial participants. (In the case of a fishbowl proposal, this will include the name of the moderator, and the names of the first four speakers for the fishbowl.)

PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS – please submit all workshop proposals via email to Lynn Schofield Clark: ir14sitechair at aoir.org Workshop proposals should include names of presenters, and a 1,000-word description.

IGNITE-IR presentation: Ignite is a high-energy five-minute plenary presentation format (see http://igniteshow.com/). Please submit a proposal via http://bit.ly/ignite-ir14 no later than August 1, 2013.

Papers, presentations and panels will be selected from the submitted proposals on the basis of multiple blind peer review, coordinated and overseen by the Program Chair. Each individual may present only one paper during the conference, though they may be listed as a co-author on multiple papers. In addition to this one presentation, they may also appear on a panel, roundtable, or performance.

PUBLICATION OF SHORT AND EXTENDED PAPERS

All Short Papers accepted for presentation will be published in the Selected Papers of Internet Research(http://spir.aoir.org). In addition, selected extended papers from the conference will be invited to appear in a special annual AoIR issue of Information, Communication & Society (http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rics20/current). Authors selected for submission for this issue will be contacted prior to the conference.

PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS

On October 23, 2013, there will be a limited number of pre-conference workshops and symposia that will provide participants with in-depth, hands-on and/or creative opportunities. We invite proposals for these pre-conference workshops. Local presenters are encouraged to propose workshops that will invite visiting researchers into their labs or studios or locales. Proposals should be no more than 1000 words, and should clearly outline the purpose, methodology, structure, costs, equipment and minimal attendance required, as well as explaining its relevance to the conference as a whole. Proposals will be accepted if they demonstrate that the workshop will add significantly to the overall program in terms of thematic depth, hands on experience, or local opportunities for scholarly or artistic connections. These proposals and all inquiries regarding pre-conference proposals should be submitted as soon as possible to both the Conference Chair and Program Chair and no later than March 1, 2013.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Program Chair: Hector Postigo, Media Studies and Production, School of Media and Communication, Temple University. ir14programchair at aoir.org

Conference Chair: Lynn Schofield Clark, School of Communication, University of Denver. ir14sitechair at aoir.org