[Air-L] Some reflections on Manuel Castells book "Networks of outrage and hope. Social movements in the Internet age"

Natalya Godbold ngodbold at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 16:49:51 PST 2012

'I suspect Castells would see environmentalism as a network of hope. ' ..
Reminds me of this:
http://io9.com/5966689/after-extensive-mathematical-modeling-scientist-declares-earth-is-fucked

Werner, a complex systems researcher at UC San Diego, spoke on Wednesday at
the huge American Geophyiscal Union conference going on in San Francisco.
This is a meeting where a typical talk might be called "Status and
potential capacities to sequester carbon of China's terrestrial ecosystem,"
or "The significance of the opening angle of pyroclast ejection during
explosive volcanic eruptions." Werner's talk really was called "Is Earth
Fucked?" [...] Capitalist culture tends to encourage decreases in
"dissipation of transactions" – it is much easier to get food now than it
used to be, or to talk to someone not next to you. These changes reduce
friction within our system, and a reduction in friction "promotes
instability." [...] The abstract for Werner's invited talk at the AGU went
even farther, stating that the an important solution is "Environmental
direct action, resistance taken from outside the dominant culture, as in
protests, blockades and sabotage by indigenous peoples, workers, anarchists
and other activist groups."

;-)
Natalya

--
Natalya Godbold
PhD Candidate (Human Information Behaviour / Health Communication)

Autonomous, Responsible, Alone (Interdisciplinary Press):
https://www.interdisciplinarypress.net/online-store/medical-humanities/autonomous-alone-responsible
Social Information Research (Emerald)
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/books.htm?issn=1876-0562&volume=5

¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.
.><((((º>`~.¸¸.~´¯`~.¸.~´¯`~...¸><((((º> .,,.~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and
with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology
Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.

Think. Green. Do.