[Air-L] post-doc position at Cornell

Lee Humphreys lmh13 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 12 09:40:01 PST 2012

Post-Doctoral Associate in Public-Nonprofit Technology Use
Department of Communication
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Ithaca, NY

The Department of Communication at Cornell University is a national leader in the study of communication as a social science. Our faculty and students are dedicated to understanding the role and enhancing the effectiveness of communication processes, systems and infrastructure in society. We explore communication in its many forms and contexts as a fundamentally social phenomenon. Our faculty members are recognized for developing and applying novel theoretical perspectives to the most pressing social and policy issues of the day. The Department ranked among the top ten in the nation in a recent poll by the National Research Council. This ranking reflects the productivity and quality of the faculty and the diversity and success of our students.

We seek a highly qualified postdoctoral associate to conduct civically-engaged research exploring the ways that members of the public are using technology to form more productive partnerships with nonprofit organizations. Specific topics of focus may include (but are not limited to) virtual volunteering, online advocacy and mobile giving.

Candidates should have expertise applying a variety of qualitative research methods to the study of sociotechnical systems; previous experience working with nonprofit organizations or other community research partners is preferred. Candidates should have successfully undertaken independent research with a record of communicating research results via publications and presentations. They should be willing to  mentor undergraduate research assistants and participate in the collaborative, interdisciplinary research environment at Cornell University.

The postdoctoral associate will be appointed in Cornell’s Department of Communication and be supervised by Dr. Amy Voida. Additional project-specific guidance and mentoring will be offered by members of an advisory board that includes Dr. Judith Olson (University of California, Irvine), Dr. Leysia Palen (University of Colorado, Boulder), and Dr. Cliff Lampe (University of Michigan).

The postdoctoral position is full-time for 12 months, at minimum, with the option to extend to 18 months given a promising trajectory of work. The postdoctoral associate will be a part of a vibrant, interdisciplinary research community at Cornell, spanning the departments of Communication, Information Science, and Science and Technology Studies. The postdoctoral associate will also have access to a breadth of resources provided by Cornell’s Office for Postdoctoral Studies (http://www.postdocs.cornell.edu<http://www.postdocs.cornell.edu/>), including numerous professional development classes and workshops.

Qualifications:
The postdoctoral associate must have a Ph.D. in communication and technology, information science, human-centered computing, organizational science or other related area by the time of employment. The start date is flexible but sometime in the spring of 2013 is preferred.

Application:
Interested candidates should submit: (1) a cover letter providing a high-level overview of their educational background, research experience, and the names and contact information for three references, (2) a current curriculum vitae, and (3) a relevant sample of published or submitted research. Application materials should be emailed to Dr. Amy Voida at amyvoida at cornell.edu<mailto:amyvoida at cornell.edu>. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.

Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery and engagement. Located in Ithaca, NY, Cornell's far-flung global presence includes the medical college's campuses on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and in Doha, Qatar, as well as the new Cornell/NYC Tech campus to be built on Roosevelt Island in the heart of New York City.

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is
developing leaders, improving lives, and shaping the future.

Diversity and inclusion have been and continue to be a part of our heritage. Cornell University is a recognized EEO/AA employer and educator.