[Air-L] How long is a pause that is considered as a sign of break-down in students' conversations in virtual world classes ?

Yoram Kalman yoram.kalman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 02:06:14 PST 2012

   Hi,
   There is no simple answer to your question. The perception of
   communication break-down is context dependent. Our research suggests
   that a good rule-of-thumb is that a correspondent whose pause is longer
   than ten times the average response time would be perceived as silent.
   See our 2006 paper on this topic:
   Kalman, Y. M., Ravid, G., Raban, D. R., & Rafaeli, S. (2006). Pauses
   and response latencies: A chronemic analysis of asynchronous CMC.
   Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 12, 1-23. doi:
   10.1111/j.1083-6101.2006.00312.x
   as well as:
   Kalman, Y. M., & Rafaeli, S. (2011). Online pauses and silence:
   Chronemic expectancy violations in written computer-mediated
   communication. Communication Research, 38(1), 54-69. doi:
   10.1177/0093650210378229
   For more information on synchronous CMC see:
   Avrahami, D., & Hudson, S. E. (2006, April 22-27). Responsiveness in
   instant messaging: predictive models supporting inter-personal
   communication. Paper presented at the CHI conference,  Montréal,
   Canada.  ([1]http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~nx6/pubs/Avrahami_CHI_06.pdf)
   If you need more information, feel free to contact me off-list.
   Yoram
Yoram Kalman, PhD
[2]www.kalmans.com
Cell: +972 54 574 7375