[Air-L] Social media and postfeminism?

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 13:26:22 PST 2012

Would absolutely second Terri Senft's recommendation of Cam-Girls, etc.
(having just cited it in my own work for similar reasons).

You might also find a couple of articles related to the pocketfilm winner of
2007, Porte de Choisy (which violates both bedroom and bathroom privacies) -

<http://www.festivalpocketfilms.fr/spip.php?article648>

- useful, beginning with the film itself as described and discussed by:

David, Gabriela. 2009. Clarifying the Mysteries of an Exposed Intimacy:
Another Intimate Representation Mise-en-scène. In Kristóf Nyíri (ed.),
Engagement and Exposure: Mobile Communication and the Ethics of Social
Networking, 77­86. Vienna: Passagen Verlag.

As well as a companion chapter:
Reading, Anna. 2009. The Playful Panopticon? Ethics and the Coded Self in
Social Networking Sites. In Kristóf Nyíri (ed.), Engagement and Exposure:
Mobile Communication and the Ethics of Social Networking, 93-101. Vienna:
Passagen Verlag.
Reading argues, contra more conservative critiques of exposure, that these
forms of self-exposure constitute a re-taking of agency in a world of
surveillance that otherwise threatens to take agency away, coupled with the
pleasures of watching, including watching ourselves.

All in the name of research, of course ...
- charles ess

Associate Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication

Director, Centre for Research on Media Innovations
<http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/research/center/media-innovations/>

University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1093 Blindern
NO-0317