[Air-L] Critical studies of affectivity and internet culturue

Andrew Herman aherman at wlu.ca
Thu Feb 2 04:01:21 PST 2012

I would be very interested in seeing this as well.

Andrew Herman, Ph. D.
Associate Professor and Chairperson
Department of Communication Studies
Graduate Program in Cultural Analysis and Social Theory
Wilfrid Laurier University
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5
CANADA
519 884-1970 x3693

>>> "Leurs, K.H.A. (Koen)" <K.H.A.Leurs at uu.nl> 02/02/12 6:05 AM >>>

Dear all,

I have searched the AIR-L archives but this did not yield any results, therefore I'm directing my question to the full AIR audience: I'm trying to get an overview of critical studies of internet cultural practices that have employed the lens of affectivity.

I'm looking at YouTube video consumption of minority youths myself, and throughout the interviews emotional attachments to for instance diasporic materials were foregrounded. I'm trying to gauge the meanings of these processes and I'm starting to believe the recent critical work on affectivity might be a good entry point.

Feminist/critical theory/post-colonial/anti-race/migration/queer work on affectivity & technologies is especially welcome.

I will post back to the list an overview of responses.

Kind regards,

Koen.

These are my own findings so far:
Ahmed, S. (2010). Happy objects. In M. Gregg and G.J. Seigworth (Eds.),
 	The affect theory reader, (pp. 29-51). Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
Ahmed, S. (2004). The cultural politics of emotion. New York, NY: Routledge.
Boehm, D.A. & Swank, H. (2011). Introduction. Special issue on affecting global
 	movement: The emotional terrain of transnationality. International Migration,  	49(6), 1-6.
Diminescu, D. (2008). The connected migrant: an epistemological manifesto. Social
 	Science Information, 47(4), 565-579.
Hansen, M.B.N. (2004). New Philosophy for New Media. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Hillis, K. (2009). Online a lot of the time. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
Koivunen, A. (2010). An affective turn? Reimagining the subject of feminist theory. In M.
 	Liljeström & S. Paasonen (Eds.), Working with affect in feminist readings, (pp. 8-28).
 	New York, NY: Routledge
Leung, L.Y.M. (2011). ‘Pro-suming swearing (verbal violence). ‘Affect’ as (feminist)
 	internet criticism. Feminist Media Studies, 11(1), 89-94.
Massumi, B. (2002). Parables for the virtual: Movement, affect, sensation. Durham, NC:
 	Duke University Press.
Nelson, A. & Hwang, J.W. (2012). Roots and revelation. genetic ancestry testing and the
 YouTube generation. In L. Nakamura & P.A. Chow-White, Race after the Internet
 	(pp. 271-290). New York, NY: Routledge.
Sedgwick, E.K. (2003). Touching feeling: Affect, pedagogy, performativity. Durham, NC:
 	Duke University Press.
Wise, A. & Velayutham, S. (2006). Towards a typology of transnational affect. Sydney:
 	Macquarie University, Centre for Research on Social Inclusion. Retrieved from:
 	http://www.crsi.mq.edu.au/public/download.jsp?id=10615 (Accessed February 1,
 	 2012).

Koen Leurs | Phd student Graduate Gender Programme | Utrecht University | Muntstraat 2a, 3512 BL Utrecht | tel. 030-253 7859 | K.H.A.Leurs at uu.nl | www.uu.nl/wiredup | www.koenleurs.net | www.digitalcrossroads.nl