[Air-L] Internet studies in India

Radhika Gajjala cyborgwati at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 03:49:55 PST 2012

Matthieu

CIS India in Bangalore is a good place as Oliver said - I think Nishant
Shah is on this list and some other members.

In addition, there are several people researching in relation to India,
South Asia and the Internet - and some of this can also be found through
looking at Media studies works in general since Journalism and Film so
overlap with "Internet studies" - also so do Business processes, labor
issues, global media industries and so on. Especially if you are looking
for online social movements. I know several people (likely on this list
too) are currently writing and probably have unpublished manuscripts under
review

 (since I end up being a blind reviewer on several of those that are sent
to journals connected with the academia situated in the western parts of
the world - when there is a reference to India and Internet, south asia and
the internet or diaspora and the internet - I get to see some of these in
progress versions - but dont know the authors until they come out in
published form - see the Journal of International and Intercultural
Communication, Critical Studies in Media Comm, New Media and Society,
Information Communication and Society... also look at gaming research in
relation to Indians - I think for instance Adrienne Shaw is doing some work
there - and definitely take a look at Nishant Shaw et al's work).

And here's my self-promotion for this morning (but this is just a drop in
the ocean of things you'll find if you expand your search beyond "internet
and India" and see how "internet and India" are linked to broader issues
and if you want very specific case st):

Gajjala, R., & Gajjala, V. (Eds.). (2008). *South-Asian technospaces*. New
York:

      Peter Lang, Digital Formation Series.

Chopra R. & Gajjala R., (Eds) (2011) Global media cultures, and identities
– Routledge.

and soon going into press is:

Gajjala, R (expected to be in-press – 2012). Weavings of the Virtual and
Real: Cyberculture and the Subaltern, Lexington Press