[Air-L] ESN-IAMCR CfP Deadline Extension: *February 28th, 2012*

Francesca Musiani francesca.musiani at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 04:07:17 PST 2012

Dear colleagues,
please note that the deadline for presenting your abstract to the ESN
section of the 2012 IAMCR conference has been extended to *February
28th*. Apologies for cross-posting.

Regards,
Francesca

----

Announcement of Deadline Extension for IAMCR Durban 2012
The deadline for submissions of abstracts of papers and panel
proposals for the IAMCR Durban 2012 Conference has been extended to
February 28, 2012. This will permit applicants from all continents who
could not make the earlier deadline to now submit their abstracts or
panels for consideration for Durban.
The conference is to be held from July 15-19, 2012 at the Howard
College Campus of the University of KwaZulu Natal (UKZN) in Durban,
South Africa.
The 2012 IAMCR conference will be held under the general theme,
'South-North Conversations'. The theme calls for balanced and
empowering narratives between communications thinkers in developing
countries, sometimes referred to as the 'global south' and those of
the developed countries in the 'north'. It seeks to expose the
interactive linkage of ideas and research initiatives within and
across development and cultural regions.
Participants in the conference will interrogate the compatibilities
and disjunctures in media and communication concepts originating
respectively from the ‘Global South’ and the 'Global North'. In
choosing the theme ‘South-North Conversations’, the conference
organisers acknowledge that the ‘South’ has something important to say
to the ‘North’, and vice versa, and further that the ‘North’ has
something to gain from its relationships with the ‘South’. The concept
of 'conversations', indicates peer-to-peer dialogue, and a more
interdependent vision of global conceptual engagements.

The conference will also seek to explore the varied modalities and
technologies of communication, new methods of media flows and of
associated identity creation, image-making and perceptions globally.
It will examine the diverse forms of technology transfers and
literacies from differently-situated regions of the globe, and
differently- situated communities within regions, countries or
organisations.
Contributions from both established researchers as well as from young
and emerging scholars are equally encouraged.

Selected Issues
Some of the sub-themes that lend themselves to exploration across many
of the IAMCR Sections and Working groups include:
• Revisiting 20th century media and communication constructs
• Critically evaluating communications research in the global south
• Uneven access to technological, political and social capital
• Varied access to information technologies
• Alternative media literacies
• Issues of the so-called ‘digital divide’ post WSIS
• Asymmetrical news and information flows
• Trend lines and origins of innovations, apps and new media
• The spectre or reality of cultural imperialism: regional, global
• Fighting back: empowerment of the local and regional
• Local languages – a growth area or reversals in current global media
eco-systems
• Media development, democracy and ethics
• Social media, challenge and advocacy
• Users and service providers: north and south
• Communication as a tool of empowerment of the marginalised and the stigmatized
• Global media hegemony, regional hegemony and counter hegemony
• Whose story?: competing historical narratives of communication from
the north and south
• Any other topic related to the general conference theme
Submission of Abstracts
Each Section and Working Group of the IAMCR has issued its own Call
for Papers, based on the general thematic outline above. The list of
Sections and Working Groups and links to their respective Calls may be
found at the Conference website below. The deadline extension to
February 28 applies to ALL IAMCR Section and Working Groups, and
supersedes any prior deadline notations which may appear on some
earlier announcements.
Abstracts should be submitted only via the central Open Conference
System (OCS) at http://iamcr-ocs.org/.

Deadlines
In light of the new abstracts deadline of February 28, 2012. The OCS
system at http://iamcr-ocs.org/ will also close on February 28, 2012.

Decisions on acceptance of abstracts will be communicated to
individual applicants by their Section or Working Group Heads no later
than March 19, 2012.

Conference registration will open as originally scheduled on March 12,
2012 for bookings by participants.
For those whose abstracts are accepted, full conference papers are to
be submitted via the IAMCR OCS by June 10, 2012.

Guidelines for Abstracts
Abstracts should be between 300 and 500 words in length.
http://www.iamcr-ocs.org/
www.iamcr-ocs.org