[Air-L] Contacting bloggers - ethics and practicalities

Donnelly, Karen k.donnelly at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 08:57:28 PST 2012

I am carrying out a study on blogging about what could potential be described as a sensitive subject. Many of the bloggers I wish to contact do not have email addresses on their profiles and I have been careful not to follow/post/lurk prior to gaining their consent (as per my ethics protocol).

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best method of making initial contact without alienating these bloggers or creeping them out?

All suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.

Karen Donnelly

ESRC PhD Student

Department of Linguistics and English Language

Lancaster University