[Air-L] Research on the effects of the Digital Divide/Digital Inequality

Kelsey Brannan kels.bran at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 08:23:33 PST 2012

Dear Roderick,

Jamilah King, a news editor for Colorlines, has done some interesting work
on the digital divide for African Americans. Here is her latest work: King,
J. (2011). How big telecom used smartphones to create a new digital divide.
Colorlines. Retrieved from:

http://colorlines.com/archives/2011/12/the_new_digital_divide_two_separate_but_unequal_internets.html

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Kelsey

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM, roderick graham <
roderickshawngraham at hotmail.com> wrote:

> All:
>
> I am currently working on a manuscript exploring how African Americans are
> using new media.  Whenever discussions of inequality and new media/ICTs
> come up - the "Digital Divide", African Americans are usually cast as one
> of the more disadvantaged groups.
>
> However, I cannot find research that shows the effects of this
> disadvantage.
>
> Has anyone come across any research that shows empirically the
> consequences of the digital divide for African Americans?
>
> Roderick Graham
> Assistant Professor, Rhode Island College

Kelsey Brannan
Graduate Associate, CNDLS  <http://cndls.georgetown.edu/people/kmb256/>
Georgetown Commons Assistant

Personal Website <http://www.kelseybrannan.com>