[Air-L] using social media short course

Kevin Guidry krguidry at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 17:06:37 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Holly Kruse <holly.kruse at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm teaching a two-week long intersession short course called "Using
> Social Media" during spring intersession, and I'd love some ideas for
> assignments and topics to cover. It's not an online course. I've
> taught much more theoretical, historical, etc. semester-long courses
> on digital media/CMC, but this class is meant to be quite applied. I'm
> having the students read Nancy Baym's Personal Connections in the
> Internet Age and Clay Shirky's Here Comes Everybody, and the students
> will write a paper, but I need to fill three hours a day for two
> weeks, so any suggestions are most welcome!

The faculty developer in me can't help but ask: What are the goals of
the course?  How do you want students to be changed?  It's awful hard
to recommend content or methods without knowing those things!

(Incidentally, I enjoyed Nancy Baym's book very much and think it
would be really good as a textbook in relevant courses.)

Kevin