[Air-L] seeking advice regarding research on photo-sharing websites

Philippa Smith philippa.smith at aut.ac.nz
Sun Feb 26 14:20:54 PST 2012

Dear Nune,

Unfortunately I can't remember the reference for you (someone else might), but I remember reading in a book about a researcher who analysed a publicly accessed site where women with breast cancer shared their experiences.  Although no password was required, the researcher felt ethically bound, if I recall correctly, to contact those on the site about what was being analysed because it was dealing with a sensitive issue.  I therefore believe that care must be taken depending on the content of what is being researched.  Nothing is ever black and white with Internet research. This area of ethics and the Internet is ongoing and given the technology is still relatively new, a lot more discussion will ensue.   I would also query if there are any copyright issues regarding people's posted photographs if you are going to reproduce them as well as their comments. Presumably your academic institution will guide you on this.

Having said that I have been analysing comments on  a publicly accessible archived blog discussion for my PhD research and have interviewed both the blogger and moderator as they brought insightful information to my research - particularly regarding my interpretation which was often quite different to how they saw things.  I felt this added objectivity to my research.
Good luck with your research.

Kind regards

Philippa Smith
PhD Candidate
Institute of Culture, Discourse & Communication
AUT University
Auckland
NEW ZEALAND