[Air-L] software for online ethnography

David Toews dtoews at yorku.ca
Thu Feb 23 12:58:41 PST 2012

Hi Darryl,

I appreciated your post about Evernote.  I've downloaded it to try, and it does
seem quite useful for a free product.  One function I'm interested in is the
sharing notebooks feature, which I'm thinking might enable me to share
fieldnotes among my four research assistants.

However, it occurs to me that one might need to think through the ethics
implications of sharing information related to participants through a web-based
service like this.  I realize that access to the sharing of this information is
password protected, but is that enough?  Further to that, I'm wondering also,
if one has a project for which one has submitted an ethics protocol to an IRB,
if you feel one needs to specify Evernote as a mode of communication among the
research team.  (I'm not thinking here at all of using it to communicate with
participants, just among research team members).

Any advice? Or does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Best,
David

www.onlinesociability.org
--