[Air-L] Critical studies of affectivity and internet culturue

Radhika Gajjala cyborgwati at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 04:46:12 PST 2012

I would add Leila Gandhi's "Affective Communities"

Jon Beasley-Murray's "Posthegemony"

Teresa Brennan's "Transmission of Affect" and some of her other work

Recently also came across Eva Ilouz - "Making of Emotional Capitalism"

and the special issue of Angelaki on Subalternity and Affect

Last Spring (2011) I taught a grad seminar on Subaltern Studies, Affect and
Labo(u)r and we

had many a good discussion on these intersections.

Eve Sedgewick and Lauren Berlant are also names to look at btw.

My question though - why Affect - why now and why now in relation to
postcolonial theory?

(incidentally - I am working on a book length project examines coding of
affect in networks, platforms, through labor, technology, postcoloniality,
subalternity, globalization, aesthetics etc - but that work is also coming
out in bits in my ongoing publications - articles and book chapters and I
wont be able to fully work on that until my current book - Weavings of
Virtual and Real - now in the formatting stages - gets finally off the
shelf - I think I shared a bit of that with Koen by email a while ago
already).