[Air-L] ipad, laptop, desktop

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 14 21:18:21 PST 2012

Just some comments from my experiences and  a question about labour, as I am
starting to kick at Apple glee clubs that seem to be popping up at
conferences. I am enjoying the iPad effects on writing thread though.

I have used keyboards since 1978 starting with Texas Instrument's keypunches
typing code and chemical formulas. My fingers are also used to playing 4
string electric bass guitar. I didn't start to type English sentences into
computers until 1994 or so. Before that I never had access to word
processors. I have some limited experiences trying to type up essays with an
IBM Selectric ( electronic typewriter) in the 1980's when I also started to
learn touch typing from library books. Apparently teaching programmers to do
touch typing is a real money saver. Word processors saved my education late
in life. I think too fast for writing.

I wonder how members of this list feel about the company Foxcomm that makes
most of our Apples, IBM's and Dells, etc.? Their workers are working in
miserable conditions. Some of the scholars I have read on this list also
have looked at labour conditions in the ICT business world.

Someone on this list recently pointed me to a book on the sustainability of
the Information age and I am reading that book.

I briefly used an iPad at a family member's ( and Apple stock holder) house
last month. Today I tried to use a display model Blackberry Playbook in an
office supply store. In both cases, I had to ask people how to get around on
the device.

When I was writing a thesis I was doing it in LaTeX code on a Macbook and an
eMac. I used a template published by my university. I have also tried a
mediawiki Intranet web site for note keeping not on the world wild web but
on a home network running apache web server on my macbook.

These days I just write papers in Word and do PowerPoint and am not fighting
any software battles at work.
We are not allowed to use iPads at work. I work in government and cannot
even take work home because of confidentiality.

Peter Timusk
at571 at ncf.ca
ptimusk at sympatico.ca
web: www.crystalcomputing.net