[Air-L] References about profile registration options (gender and sexuality)

natalya godbold ngodbold at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 03:45:06 PST 2012

that's wierd:  my mailing lists keep overlapping.  I saw this on another
list (cultstud) today.
Its not a reading, Szulc, but you might find it interesting enough to put
in the diary.
kind regards
Natalya

Please circulate the following CFP:

NB. Abstract Deadline extended

The Communication Graduate Caucus (CGC), in conjunction with the Paul
Attallah lecture series, is pleased to announce its 7th Annual
Conference: Profiles

Conference Date/Location: March 1-2, 2012 - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Affiliation: Carleton University, School of Journalism and Communication

Paul Attallah Keynote Lecture: Gabriella Coleman, Assistant Professor
of Media, Culture, and Communication, NYU Steinhardt and 2012 Wolfe
Chair in Scientific and Technological Literacy

Many media outlets, from Entertainment Tonight to Gawker and Perez
Hilton spend a lot of time profiling the day-to-day life of
celebrities. Players of online gaming create profiles which help them
navigate their way through a given space. Setting up a profile
—willingly or unwillingly— is fundamental to various online
activities, from social networking to tracking Google searches.
Developments in security and surveillance technologies, such as
biometrics, create ideal body types and act as a way for determining
whether one is or is not a security risk. Media coverage of recent
events like the "Occupy" movement produce a new profile of protesters.
The profile in photography represents an early example of a "media
format" and draws attention to the ways profiling refers to various
acts of representation and the kinds of political, aesthetic, and
cultural dynamics that go into the creating, maintaining and
disseminating of a profile in mediated environments. Historical
profiles create a past we can interact with, demographic profiles
conceptualize our current identity, while genetic and behavioural
profiles try to predict our future. This conference examines these
different meanings of profile and their intersections.

Among other related topics, we seek papers that consider topics such as:
The politics of profiling in journalism
Visualizing profiles
Profiling the body: biometrics and biopolitics
Profiling the self: identity creation and performance
Profiling and social theory
Marginalized Profiles
Following and grouping profiles
Design and defaults of digital profiles
Profiles of play

We seek proposals for individual paper presentations as well as
pre-formed panels that interpret and explore the theme of Profiles.
Submissions from faculty and graduate students and from those who
study in departments outside of communication are welcomed and
encouraged. Please submit an abstract of up to 200 words (preferably
in Word format) outlining your proposed paper topic along with your
name, affiliation, contact information (e-mail address), and
audio/visual needs.

Abstract deadline: Friday, Feb 3, 2012

Please e-mail submissions (or questions) to: cgc.conference at gmail.com

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Szulc Lukasz <Lukasz.Szulc at ua.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Could you please recommend me any readings which deal with the design of
> profile registration options?
>
> I mostly look for works on gender and sexuality options in software design
> (mainly profile registration options on dating sites or internet affinity
> portals) or any analysis or the interpretation of registration options on
> the websites designed for sexual and gender minorities. But I will also
> welcome the recommendation of other works which deal with the issue in a
> broader sense.
>
> Regards,
> Lukasz Szulc
> PhD Candidate
> Media, Culture & Policy Research Group
> Department of Communication Studies
> University of Antwerp
> www.ua.ac.be/lukasz.szulc

Natalya Godbold
PhD Candidate (Human Information Behaviour / Health Communication)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of Technology, Sydney

¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.
.><((((º>`~.¸¸.~´¯`~.¸.~´¯`~...¸><((((º> .,,.~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and
with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology
Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.

Think. Green. Do.