[Air-L] Journal of Information Policy

Richard Taylor rdt4 at psu.edu
Fri Jan 27 10:31:48 PST 2012

Colleagues,

With apologies for cross-postings.

The Journal of Information Policy (www.jip-online.org) is celebrating one
year online!

The recent posting of Eli Noam article "Let Them Eat Cellphones: Why Mobile
Wireless is No Solution for Broadband"
(http://jip.vmhost.psu.edu/ojs/index.php/jip/article/view/64/43) marked the
completion of the first volume of the Journal of Information Policy, a
publication of the Institute for Information Policy at Penn State, supported
by a generous grant made by the Ford Foundation.

Since its launch on February 17, 2011 the Journal has published 16
peer-reviewed research articles, 5 essays, 2 conference reports, and 6 book
reviews, for a total of 485 pages. Authors span the globe, coming from 10
countries, with 39 reviewers from 13 countries. Involvement in the Journal
reflects its original goals: among the authors are some of the leading
scholars in information policy studies as well as a number of up and coming
new voices; it is a diverse slate of scholars; and while the topics covered
are timely, all papers were subjected to a rigorous double-blind peer review
by at least two reviewers. So far, 32 articles have been submitted for peer
review and some are still making their way through the process.

In its first year, the Journal's workshops have drawn growing attention and
have been conducted with a growing network of collaborators, for which we
are grateful: The New America Foundation's Open Technology Initiative, The
Donald McGannon Communication Research Center at Fordham University and the
Mack Center for Technological Innovation at the Wharton School at the
University of Pennsylvania.

The Journal's online presence has contributed to its near-immediate
recognition as a respected outlet for information policy scholarship. By the
end of December, its website had 2,855 unique visitors from 75 countries,
with 20,861 page views and 2,725 downloads. We have just signed an agreement
with Proquest to carry the Journal's papers in its database. This early
recognition by a respected database adds to the other indexing services
through which interested parties can search for the Journal's articles:
CrossRef, DOAJ and LOCKSS.

Perhaps most gratifying has been the Journal's recognition as one of two
outlets for selected papers coming out of TPRC, a partnership to continue in
2012.

Speaking of the future, we are currently heavily involved in the process of
putting together a special issue on "New Media, New ICTs and Democracy," and
the special TPRC issue. We are looking forward to the workshop and
subsequent issue on "The End of the Telephone System," which will be our
third issue for 2012, to be published in the fall.

We encourage all to submit timely studies on information policy to the
Journal through our online submission system (www.jip-online.org).

Best wishes,

Amit M. Schejter and Richard D. Taylor, Editors
Benjamin W. Cramer, Managing Editor