[Air-L] ipad, laptop, desktop

Kreps David D.G.Kreps at salford.ac.uk
Sun Jan 15 09:57:56 PST 2012

My two penneth FWIW
A salesman in the Regent St Apple Store, some years ago, did me a great service by stressing several times: "The iPad is not a Laptop". As soon as I got one I understood that it is basically just a big iPhone, without the Phone bit.  But actually that makes it (in its niche) very useful indeed.  I listen to the Radio in the kitchen on it.  I play Words with Friends on it.  I browse news via Flipboard on it.  It does all my email and note taking at conferences.  Evernote is there to keep quick notes on it synchronised with both my iPhone and MacAir.
But the MacAir does everything else I could want and I usually have all three with me.
Having been with Mac from 1988-1998 I got very used to the Mac OS.  When circumstances put me onto first Win95 then 98 I felt quite poor! Win2000 & then WinXP were a bit of an improvement but the month Apple got Intel (Jan 07) I got myself a Mac again and haven't looked back.  I still have Win machines - some virtual on my Mac, some on Dells or Toshibas, but my preferred environment is again the various incarnations of the Mac OS.

Apple have not paid me for my opinion lol

Dr David Kreps
Director, Information Systems, Organisations and Society Research Centre
University of Salford
http://www.business.salford.ac.uk/staff/davidkreps
Sent from my iPad - apols for brevity and/or typos