[Air-L] Follow up Apple workers standards and miserable factory conditions

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 16 03:08:26 PST 2012

Thought I should share this news item given my statement yesterday.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/apple-supply-chain-
audit-finds-worker-conditions-not-up-to-standards/article2302022/

Apple supply chain audit finds worker conditions not up to standards

Poornima Gupta

San Francisco- Reuters

Published Friday, Jan. 13, 2012 3:46PM EST

Last updated Friday, Jan. 13, 2012 4:05PM EST

Apple revealed its once closely guarded list of global suppliers on Friday,
taking a dramatic and unprecedented step in response to harsh criticism that
it was turning a blind eye to dismal working conditions at partner
factories.

The move, unusual in an industry that relies heavily on foreign component
suppliers to drive margins but rarer still for an infamously secretive
company, underscored some speculation that new Chief Executive Tim Cook has
ushered in an era of greater transparency. Predecessor Steve Jobs, who died
in October, kept an iron grip on the internal workings of the company he
founded and made great.

Peter Timusk

at571 at ncf.ca

ptimusk at sympatico.ca