[Air-L] iCS/SATSU Call For Papers - 3 day symposium 18-20 July 2012 (fwd)

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 19 06:28:21 PST 2012

fyi
  Barry Wellman

'The co-production of knowledge: Social Media, STS and .'

Three-Day Symposium to be held at University of York, UK
July 18-20 2012

Call for Papers

The ubiquitous social and cultural adoption of social media, such as
Twitter, Google, Wikipedia, YouTube and Facebook can be seen to present a
significant example of scientific and technological innovation in many
contemporary societies. While some studies of social media and, more
specifically, Web 2.0 platforms built around user-generated content, have
made reference to the importance of the field of science and technology
studies (STS) for understanding their development and diffusion, scholars
working within this academic framework have yet to fully turn their focus on
this area. This three-day symposium is intended to explore the intersection
between STS and social media inquiry, with a specific focus on how Web 2.0
is both generative and challenging of different forms of knowledge
(co-)production and the authority it commands.

.	The user-centred and mass-collaboration characteristics of social
media platforms have a clear affinity with recent STS models of the
co-construction of technologies. Notions such as 'prosumerism' have been
used to describe this blurring of the relationship between the consumer and
producer. However, we need to ask whether this is to be seen as
co-construction or primarily a re-engineering of labour relations and the
locus of production? We also need to ask whether the ubiquity extends across
all social media for all types of content. In other words, are new forms of
expertise being inscribed, or are old knowledge hierarchies being
reinforced?
.	STS challenges the traditional perception of scientific 'discovery'
and technological advancement, to demonstrate the co-production of claims to
knowledge and the different forms and assemblages of knowledge this
involves: how does this map onto commentaries on the importance of lay
knowledge and 'citizen science' found in Web 2.0 as individuals and groups
distribute ideas and information across their social networks? Could this
provide a new impetus for 'public interest science'?
.	How do the same issues relate to the social sciences themselves: how
might Web 2.0 provide opportunities for new forms of data and data analytics
(for example, as 'virtual knowledge' via crowdsourcing, real-time data
streaming, by-product data etc) and in what ways do these challenge
conventional social science by opening up questions about what data itself
constitutes and what order of being it represents?
.	How might lay, amateur knowledge be mobilised as 'citizen science'
and what warrant, authorisation and location in established science might it
secure? How might the contribution of Web 2.0 science platforms differ from
the amateur societies of the 19th and 20th centuries?
.	It has been claimed that algorithms and code play an increasingly
powerful part in shaping and constituting everyday life, it has even been
claimed that algorithms are creating new rules and power structures that
unknowingly come to restructure social hierarchies and divisions. How, for
example, do algorithms make decisions for us? How do algorithms bypass or
re-craft human agency? What are the implications of this? Exactly how do
algorithms, code and metrics shape everyday life and access to knowledge?
.	Do the open source platforms and social media tools of Web 2.0 come
into tension with the international standardisation and codification of
global ICT infrastructures and local and global knowledge infrastructures?
.	Finally, the more celebratory characterisations of social media
emanating from the marketing world typically lack a critical focus: can
social media and STS analyses build a political economy of Web 2.0 to
provide such a focus, by explicitly addressing issues of participatory
surveillance, exclusion and control?

Papers are invited that explore these broad questions around a number of
possible  themes, including:

.	The boundaries and future of social media as a medium of knowledge
creation, dissemination, and regulation
.	The co-production of knowledge via Web 2.0 platforms
.	Knowledge, expertise and disruptive/disrupted authority
.	Capturing social media: the commercial/political exploitation by or
empowering of Web 2.0
.	Ownership, dissemination and use of scientific knowledge
.	E-governance and the regulation of knowledge within social media
.	National practices and global opportunities
.	Novel forms of knowledge creation through group processes,
archiving, digitization etc.
.	Public and visible science
.	Scientific controversies online

Confirmed plenary speakers include:

Geof Bowker, University of Pittsburgh
Leah Lievrouw, UCLA
Adrian MacKenzie, Cesagen, University of Lancaster
Rob Proctor, e-Research Centre, University of Manchester
Robin Williams, ISSTI, Edinburgh
Sally Wyatt, e-Humanities Programme, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and
Sciences

This conference is intended to bring together some of the leading scholars
in the fields of STS, Communication and Social Media analysis, and the
history and philosophy of science to critically explore these issues.

Please send abstracts of proposed papers to sarah-shrive-morriosn at york.ac.uk
by 29 February 2012.

Registration information is available on the SATSU site:
www.york.ac.uk/satsu/news-events/ics

Conference organising committee: David Beer, Darren Reed, Mike Hardey, Brian
Loader, Sarah Shrive-Morrison, Andrew Webster, Robin Williams, Sally Wyatt

The deadline for this call for papers is 29 February 2012. If you are
interested to submit an individual paper or panel including 3 papers please
go to web-link or contact email satsu at york.ac.uk

Conference Fees
See www.york.ac.uk/satsu/news-events/ics