[Air-L] Affordances, technical agency, and the politics of technologies of cultural production

Tarleton Gillespie tlg28 at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 24 02:46:19 PST 2012

All,

(Yikes. Trying to get scholarly work out to the right people, when it isn't going to reach you through traditional channels like journals, sure feels like untested waters. I know this mailing list is full of people who will want to read this, but saying so feels a little like spam. Anyway, we hope that us letting you know about this will feel less like promotion and more like sharing good work; we hope it is appropriate for our mailing list.)

Our blog, Culture Digitally, has been up and running for a few months. One of our commitments, in addition to hosting smart, scholarly posts on a range of issues regarding digital cultural production, was to occasionally instigate theoretical back-and-forth between two or more people in our field, around a shared theoretical concern or point of interest. In these "dialogues," the participants are encouraged to grapple with theoretical questions, but to do so quite a bit faster than the glacial pace of publishing typically allows. Imagine them as the digital equivalent of the scholarly exchange of letters between pre-eminent gentlemen (sic!) scientists. The thinking is meant to be raw and provocative, a chance for the dialogue participants to prod each other beyond their own certainties.

We've posted our first, and we think it will be of interest to some on this mailing list.

Affordances, technical agency, and the politics of technologies of cultural production
a dialogue between Gina Neff, Tim Jordan, and Joshua McVeigh-Schulz
January 23, 2012
http://culturedigitally.org/2012/01/affordances-technical-agency-and-the-politics-of-technologies-of-cultural-production-2/

Tarleton Gillespie
Hector Postigo