[Air-L] FRIENDLY REMINDER: Applications due Friday, January 6, 2012 | Badges, Trophies, and Achievements: Recognition and Accreditation for Informal and Interest-Driven Learning

Sheryl Grant sherylgrant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 09:43:31 PST 2012

The *Digital Media and Learning Research Competition* closes on January 6,
2012 at 5 pm PST/8 pm EST.

The Research Competition application requirements can be found
here<http://dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/research-competition-announcement.php>
.

*(Please note that although we will make every effort to assist applicants
with questions and technical problems on the final day of the Research
Competition, due to expected volume, we cannot make any promises. The
application system is open now and we advise applicants not to wait until
the last moment to apply.)

If you have already submitted your application, you can view it
here<http://dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/research-proposals.php?show=dmlc-4rg>.
For
information on applying, click
here<http://dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/research-apply.php>.
Questions
or concerns?Email your inquiry to dml at hri.uci.edu.

***** *Digital Media and Learning Research Competition: Call for
Applications****

*Badges, Trophies, and Achievements: Recognition and Accreditation for
Informal and Interest-Driven Learning*

***Deadline: January 6, 2012 at 5pm PST/8pm EST *

*Awards: $5,000 to $80,000*

Online networks, digital resources, and gaming environments provide rich
opportunities for learning that is demand-driven and learner-centered. More
and more people are turning to networked knowledge communities, online
tutorials, and other digital resources for wide ranging learning needs.
While learning is migrating to these more informal and
non-institutionalized kinds of contexts, we still have little research that
examines how people assess, recognize, and display the learning that
happens in these settings.

   - What are the emerging techniques and practices for managing reputation
   and recognizing learning?
   - What are the broad historical and structural understandings of how
   accreditation operates in our changing social and cultural environment?
   - What systems exist for recognizing learning outside of formal degree
   and training programs?
   - How do credentials and other displays of achievement operate in the
   digital and networked world?
   - What kinds of skills and experiences have not been well captured by
   existing credentialing and recognition systems?
   - How is the landscape of credentialing changing (or not) with the shift
   to digital and networked society?

We seek empirical and theoretical research focusing on these questions.
Studies should focus on areas such as:

   - Ranking, badging, and achievement systems in games, clubs,
   competitions, and other forms of interest-driven activities.
   - Accreditation and certificates outside of formal degree programs,
   including areas such as work skills training, language, writing and
   critical capabilities, arts, crafts, and other trades.
   - The role of credentials, badges, and other recognitions of achievement
   in career and reputation development.
   - Empirical, theoretical, and critical studies of how companies, groups,
   institutions, and individuals produce, utilize, and exploit various
   credentialing and reputation systems.

*Apply to the Research Competition
here<http://dmlcompetition.net/Competition/4/research-apply.php> by
Friday, January 6, 2012,  5pm PST/8pm EST. *
*
*
Sheryl Grant
Director, Social Networking