[Air-L] Are 'categories' the same as 'genres'?

j berzowska j.berzowska at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 20:16:28 PST 2012

Ravi - As mentioned, there are different types of genres (document
genres, literary genres, movie genres, etc.). While document genres in
particular are seen to be shifting in digital form, we still have a
fairly clear idea of the shared meaning they convey. Memos, FAQs and
comment forms all bring with them some degree of structure and common
understanding. Such genres are also thought to develop in part as a
reaction to our understanding of their purpose. Movie genres evolve in
much the same way.

So, genres are thought of as fluid and culturally-based. They are also
difficult to identify and track (You'll find several interesting
perspectives in Genres on the Web, Vol. 42 in the Springer series on
Text, Speech and Language Technology).

Several disciplines study the organization and representation of
information on the web, including knowledge organization, information
retrieval and information architecture. They provide in-depth
background on the ideas you are discussing, including practical
concerns around how terms are assigned to objects, and the degree to
which they help us find and understand things.

Justyna

-----
Justyna Berzowska
SLAIS PhD student