[Air-L] Writing and iPads

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 05:45:31 PST 2012

And can't resist encouraging a careful look at chapter nine in Naomi Baron's
prize-winning _Always On_, in which she provides a brief history of a
Western understanding of the role of writing (e.g., Commonplace Books) in
our conceptions of education and selfhood since the Renaissance (a history
usefully complemented by Foucault's late essays on writing as a "technology
of the self," a thematic that Maria Maria Bakardjieva and Georgia Gaden have
also helpfully explored in their "Web 2.0 Technologies of the Self," now
online as part of a special issue of Philosophy and Technology).
Naomi then develops a very interesting and, I think, important set of
contrasts between writing by hand and writing at the keyboard (both computer
and phone).
It would be interesting to see the contrasts suggested here and the
within Naomi's larger frameworks.

Thanks, and best,
- charles