[Air-L] Research on Twitter - a couple of questions

Yuri Takhteyev yuri at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 17 08:52:40 PST 2012

> in Twitter user profiles. We found that 34% of users did not provide real
> location information, frequently incorporating fake locations or sarcastic
> comments that can fool traditional geographic information tools. [....]"

We found more or less the same.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socnet.2011.05.006

Additionally, a lot of the data that did point to real places was
often presented in form that would not be easy to locate
automatically, e.g., "Floss Angeles" or even "Floss Town (LA)". We
ended up geocoding our sample by hand.

 - yuri