[Air-L] Annotating, coding CMC data (focus on language use)

brook bolander brookbolander at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 02:19:30 PST 2012

Dear all,

This semester I will be teaching a seminar on research methodologies for
the study of computer-mediated discourse. The seminar is part of an MA
program on language and communication, so the focus is on language use -
the students all come from linguistics departments.

As part of the seminar, I want to introduce students to a free software
program which enables annotation/coding of data, so we can conduct a small
workshop in which they get their hands dirty annotating/coding data and so
that we can subsequently discuss dis/advantages depending on the types of
data they are working with, their research questions, etc. Do you know of
any free programs you would recommend? I am not an expert on this matter
and I am overwhelmed by all the programs (one could purchase). Further, do
you have any tips on reading materials which address different types of
software for the annotating/tagging of (linguistic) data, which we could
read in class before working with a program?

Thanks so much for your help.
Kind regards,
Brook Bolander
(research and teaching assistant, University of Basel, Switzerland)