[Air-L] permissions for quoting tweets

Cornelius Puschmann cornelius.puschmann at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Jan 25 06:14:02 PST 2012

Daria,

assuming that the number of tweets is small and that you are not
redistributing the data as such (something that Twitter doesn't like) you
shouldn't really have any problems. Obtaining the user's permission and
anonymizing the material will suffice in my opinion.

Best,

Cornelius

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Dayter <coocho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear list members,
>

> I am about to submit for publication an article that includes content
> analysis of tweets, and a few of them are quoted in my paper. I wonder
> if any kind of accepted practice exists already in this regard: do
> Twitter's new terms of service mean that I need to obtain a permission
> from Twitter to use tweets in the publication, or is it enough if I
> have the authors' permission?
> I apologise if this issue has been discussed already - I've joined the
> list recently, and I've only seen the very end of the Twitter ToS
> thread.
>
> best
> daria
>
> --
> Daria Dayter
> Wiss. Mitarbeiterin
> Englische Sprachwissenschaft
> Nürnbergerstr. 38, Zi. 4.2.15
> Tel. 0921/55-4644
> daria.dayter at uni-bayreuth.de

Dr. Cornelius Puschmann

Department for English Language and Linguistics
Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf
Building 23.11, Level 1, Room 21
Universitätsstrasse 1
40225 Düsseldorf
Germany

phone: +49 211 81-15927 (office)
fax: +49 211 81-11443

Nachwuchsforschergruppe "Wissenschaft und Internet" /
Junior Researchers Group "Science and the Internet"
http://nfgwin.uni-duesseldorf.de