[Air-L] Are 'categories' the same as 'genres'?

Matthew Allen M.Allen at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Wed Jan 11 16:04:31 PST 2012

Perhaps because I used to research TV, back before the internet (where there ever such times?), I still like the idea of genre. I suspect that the current buzz word might be format, however, which has its own interesting resonances with computing.

I would also say that you comment about how people watch TV now is much more pertinent - recalling Williams and flow, clearly that is the major change. To the extent that programming schedules for TV channels, whether free to air or subscription, tend to produce flow out of the juxtaposition of different genres, then I think genre is less important now.

Matt

Professor Matthew Allen
Head of Department, Internet Studies, Curtin University
Life member, Association of Internet Researchers http://aoir.org
Fellow, Australian Learning and Teaching Council
Visit me at: http://netcrit.net. Follow me @netcrit

v: +61892663511 f: +61892663166
CRICOS Provider Code 00301J (WA), 02637B (NSW)