[Air-L] Technology as ideologically neutral?

Nick Breems nbreems at dordt.edu
Sat Jul 7 14:24:28 PDT 2012

If someone says "it's just a tool", I often reply with Abraham Maslow's
observation that "When your only tool is a hammer, all of your problems
begin to look like nails."

--
Nick Breems
- PhD Student @ University of Salford

Email:  nbreems at dordt.edu
Mobile phone:
   (from UK): 0771 822 9005
   (from US): 011 44 771 822 9005

<socnetres at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Another crucial variant is the "it's just a tool" formulation,
commonly
> found in popular debates. This kept cropping up during discussions of
the
> role of new media in the Arab uprisings and, in my view, impeded
real
> discussion.
>
> I think that scholars have been so eager to stay away from
technological
> determinism that we've lost sense of how to argue really about the
> structural accordances of technology. Too often, the more acceptable
> formulation, "it's socially constructed," also leans towards "it's
just a
> tool" in essence.
>
> -z
>
> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Cristian Berrio Zapata <
> cristian.berrio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Pls do not let McLuhan out of the scope... in McLuhan, M. (1995).
The
>> Playboy Interview. Essential McLuhan, 233-269.
>>
>> “*In the past, the effects of media were experienced more
gradually,
>> allowing the individual and society to absorb and cushion their
impact to
>> some degree. Today, in the electronic age of instantaneous
communication, I
>> believe that our survival, and at the very least our comfort and
happiness,
>> is predicated on understanding the nature of our new environment,
because
>> unlike previous environmental changes, the electric media constitute
>> total and near-instantaneous transformation of culture, values and
>> attitudes. This upheaval generates great pain and identity loss,
which can
>> be ameliorated only through a conscious awareness of its dynamics.
If we
> [...]
let
>> "self perception" out of the scope. Self perception (proprioception
and
>> tactile perception) is the base of affective bound, "love". Then,
what are
>> we depriving new generations of?
>>

>> 2012/7/7 jeremy hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu>
>>
>> > I find this to be an interesting debate, though mostly the
question is
>> > where the ideology actually exists.    Does it exist in the
object
>> itself?
>> >  relations to the object from other objects?  relations to the
object to
>> > semiotic systems around it?  relations to socius or culture?  or
in the
>> > systems alone, cultures alone, socius, alone, etc.
>> >
>> > basically there is a matrix here of ideologies, contexts, objects
and
>> > their axiologies operating both ontologically ala mereological
>> > constructions  and epistemologies.   With many blurry middle
grounds.

>> > I hold that artifacts have politics in themselves, but i'm not
sure that
>> > all artefacts have ideologies in themselves.  The question i tend
>> raise
>> > and ask people to write about is... what is the politics of the
toaster,
>> > because the toaster has a whole political economics and a
politics, but
>> > does it have an implied ideology.  Now the design of a toaster
can
>> > certainly have ideological components, but the idea of a toaster
may
>> > perhaps not, though granted whether the idea exists outside of the
set of
>> > objects is another debate for the Platonists to take up.
>> >
>> > however... I wonder about the neutrality of the internet because
as I've
>> > argued here before, that while there is no real internet beyond
reference
>> > to a conceptual idea that encompasses many technologies and
systems that
>> > lack what i'd all think of as a unity beyond the concept.  So does
it as
>> > whole have a neutrality or an ideology?  there is a certain
technocratic
>> > rationality to it, and that rationality certainly has a
traditionally
>> > critiqued ideology, but is that in it, or in the design of it, or
in the
>> > relations of it within historic contexts?  and isn't neutrality
and the
>> > claim to it, an ideological claim?  I've always tended to argue
that the
>> > claim toward neutrality and objectivity is almost always
ideological.

>> > one of my favorite authors on this technology as ideology is Paul
Virilio