[Air-L] Technology as ideologically neutral?

Meryl Krieger meryl.krieger at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 11:27:16 PDT 2012

Cristian, Mike, et al:

I've been lurking throughout this discussion but Cristian's point has
encouraged me to chime in. I like that the ideas of ideology and
representation are both now in the conversation. Consider, though, that one
approach lets us present (rather than represent) what is understood within
a cultural/historical/geographical context and representation while the
other lets us view the same from the outside.

I'm thinking here from the perspective of ethnographic
participant-observation - in my world it becomes an absolute necessity to
separate out what we think we see happening in a particular setting from
what people within that setting think they are doing. We generally operate
out of a philosophical grounding in phenomenological bracketing because it
is far to easy for us to conflate these two things when we present
our/their actions to others.

This has been a great discussion, everyone - I can't wait to see where it
goes next!

Cheers, Meryl

--
J. Meryl Krieger