[Air-L] Using screen captures in Thesis paper

Peter Gloviczki glovi002 at umn.edu
Tue Jul 10 05:13:33 PDT 2012

Hi, Emily and all,

Could Emily make a fair-use argument? Something along the lines
of--this information is publicly available, and for research purposes,
it should be permissible for her to include the screenshots with
proper attribution--I'm not a lawyer or a legal scholar, but perhaps
some that are on this list might be able to comment?

Peter

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Emily Liu <b941020045 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> While doing my research on the online forum-based interactive gaming site (
> www.gaiaonline.com), I have encountered another problem.
>
> The site's Terms of Service mention that "The visual interfaces, graphics,
> design, compilation, information, computer code, products, software,
> services, and all other elements of Gaia Online provided by Gaia, including
> without limitation any artwork, Gaia virtual items, Gaia Gold, Member
> Submissions, Gaia Member Online Accounts or User IDs, or visual art and any
> combination thereof (all of the foregoing, collectively, the "Materials")
> are protected by copyright, trade dress, patent, and trademark laws,
> international conventions, and all other relevant intellectual property and
> proprietary rights, and applicable laws. Except as expressly authorized by
> Gaia, you agree not to buy, sell, license, distribute, copy, modify,
> publicly perform or display, transmit, publish, edit, adapt, create
> derivative works from, or otherwise make any unauthorized or commercial use
> of the Materials. You agree to abide by all copyright notices, information
> and restrictions contained in any Materials." Yet I need to include
> screenshots of the forum and user avatars in my thesis to illustrate my
> research site and let others understand how forum-based role playing is
> conducted.
>
> I have tried to get authorization to use the site's images by writing to
> their usertalk email, public relations email, and the site moderator, but
> received no replies. In this case, can I still include screen capture
> images in my paper? How should I deal with the issue of copyright or
> authorization?
>
> Thank you
>
> Emily
>
> --
>
> Min-Ju Liu (Emily)
>
> M.A. Student in Applied Linguistics
>
> Department of Foreign Languages and Literature
> National Sun Yat-sen University

Peter Joseph Gloviczki, Ph.D.
http://petergloviczki.com