[Air-L] Using screen captures in Thesis paper

Wkzander wkzander at mtu.edu
Tue Jul 10 08:05:13 PDT 2012

Emily,
This is an important question-Ty for posing it.

My concern would be IRB. Since it is specific to each institution, my guess is that you may need to speak with your university's IRB officer. I recall CITI training making an ethical distinction based on privacy (public group, semi-private, etc). There is a clause that allows researchers to research without consent if the research is considered valuable enough and the dangers to the subjects and researcher outweighs the benefits of gaining formalized consent. Again, I would double check your institution's IRB policy to ensure that you follow their guidelines.

All that noted, I wonder if gaining permission (although a hassle) via consent forms helps to legitimize online identity/existence and, therefore, what we study.

Hope that's helpful.

Wendy

Wendy K. Z. Anderson
Assistant Professor
Department of Humanities
Michigan Technological University
http://www.hu.mtu.edu/~wkzander

---------
Sent from my iPod-pls excuse typos or concise language