[Air-L] Is there any published research on "trolling"?

Burcu Bakioglu bbakiogl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 09:46:32 PDT 2012

I agree with Thomas over here. Fighting trolling is a losing business, the
more you respond, thousand times more they respond. All of these readings
mentioned here possibly won't give you any more insight on fighting it.
Especially in virtual worlds this is rampant under a slightly different
name: griefing, but it is the same deal. i have a long list of reading on
the phenomena but didn't want to spam everyone with the reading list. If
you are genuinely trying to stop trolling on your blog or anywhere else:

-ignore disruptive behavior... these guys are mainly attention whores
(their term, not mine). So if you ignore them, they get bored and go away...
-turn on any protective settings like moderation, if you are in a virtual
world you would have ban capabilities in your sim/region
-in the online piece that someone else had mentioned, Judith Donath's
piece, there are some useful cues and how these guys act. The piece is a
bit outdated but still useful. Donath mentions: They usually pretend to be
in on the cause and start asking silly questions, you explain, they pretend
not to understand, you explain more etc... In Second Life for instance, the
blogger/character Prokovy Nova pretends to fight griefers and defend free
speech and stuff, and at the same time, trolls and antagonizes bunch of
blogs from Henry Jenkin's blog to Techcruch to Terra Nova with epic long
blog comments... from which s/he is banned... I think she is banned from 10
blogs at least.
-or they attack you somehow, you defend, they attack more etc...
-Also in Cole Stryker's Epic Win for Anonymous, there is a useful troll
category list earlier in the book... the book is not exclusively about
trolling, but it does touch upon it...

It takes various shapes and forms. But the truism is the same: don't feed
the troll. Meaning ignore/delete/block... fighting is not an option.

My two cents...

BsB

--
Thanks,

Burcu S. Bakioglu, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow in New Media
Lawrence University

http://www.palefirer.com
http://palefirer.com/blog/

--
"Come to the dark side, we have cookies."
~Anonymous