[Air-L] Technology as ideologically neutral?

Christopher J. Richter crichter at hollins.edu
Thu Jul 5 08:23:55 PDT 2012

For historical perspectives documenting the case for development of some comm technologies, Carolyn Marvin's When Old Technologies Were New, Susan Douglas' Inventing American Broadcasting and Tom Streeter's Selling the Air: A Critique of the Policy of Commercial Broadcasting in the United States are insightful.  Marvin's and Douglas' are particularly accessible.

Streeter's  The Net Effect: Romanticism, Capitalism, and the Internet  (2010) may also be relevant, but I can't say for sure as it's on my list of yet to be read.

Christopher J. Richter
Associate Professor
Communication Studies
Hollins University