[Air-L] social change?

Radhika cyborgwati at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 14:13:55 PDT 2012

Andre,

I couldn't have said it better

My question about he effectiveness of social advocacy campaigns online was not based in an assumption that the campaigns in themselves are beyond reproach. The assumptions behind these campaigns must be critically examined.

Because technology design is a product of situated values....we get to be tech deterministic.

Because "technology" does not exist "objectively" out there.. .. We do attribute bad or good effects from it.

This form of tech determinism is the form revealed when we approach the study from within communities that feel forced into adopting any kind of technology, because if they don't adopt it, they are told they will be "left behind".

Users from positions of lesser power in global hierarchies cannot afford not to be technologically deterministic.