[Air-L] MA/MSc in Creating Social Media at Goldsmiths University, London

Nishant Shah itsnishant at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 23:37:49 PDT 2012

I've been thinking a lot about what cross computing interdisciplinary
courses around social media could be like, when I came across this
recommended by a friend. I was quite pleasantly surprised at how fantastic
it sounds - almost makes me want to go back to school and be a student
again, to be able to have this as an option. I thought this might be of
interest to many on this list. Here is the Call for Applications. Apologies
if you have already looked at it.

*What does social media look like in the future? What will you create? *At
Goldsmiths, University of London, we offer an MA/MSc in Creating Social
Media <http://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-creating-social-media/> that provides
students with practical and critical skills to shape the future of social
media. The MA/MSc is a collaborative theory/practice programme across
the Centre
for Cultural Studies <http://www.gold.ac.uk/cultural-studies/> and the
Department
of Computing <http://www.gold.ac.uk/computing/>.

Based on global examples, we explore the technological and intellectual
questions that have risen to prominence with the social web. We critique
existing approaches and tools, and plan, develop, hack and implement new
applications and campaigns. We not only analyse: we create.

New social media platforms, at their best, develop new online forms of
connecting, relating, sharing and organising. Effective and innovative
social media creation, therefore, involves deep theoretical and practical
knowledge of both software development and social processes. Participants
in the MA/MSc will become proficient in

·      Computing skills in software development for new social media
platforms, mashups, apps, and tools. This includes both coding and data
skills, and a hacker approach (students with non technical background are
brought up to speed with a specially developed bootcamp)

·      Theories of social processes and methods to research them. Adapting
social media to a variety of technological contexts and to the needs of
specific communities. Creating social media interventions that address
social processes in new ways.

·      Surfacing the assumptions and limitations embedded in software.
Critically assessing contemporary discourses about social media and social
change. Building software tools that enable different forms of social
practice, and launching them successfully.

The course draws together students from all around the globe, and from a
wide spectrum, some with a technical background, and others whose main
focus has been communications, culture, society or politics. We accept
applicants until August 31 – but best apply as soon as possible.

Start:               Sep 2012 (for those without technical background) or
Oct 2012 (with)

Apply by:       August 30 2012 latest

Duration:       1 Year full-time or 2 years part-time

Final Degree:             MA or MSc (depends on focus of the thesis)

Website:         http://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-creating-social-media/

Contact:          g.bachmann at gold.ac.uk

--
Nishant Shah