[Air-L] "Cybersecurity" or "Cyber Security"?

Thomas Jones tajone02 at syr.edu
Tue Jul 3 11:58:21 PDT 2012

I would disagree a bit on that one.

I just spent the last 3 years in federal civil service as an IT Manager. I administrated half of the network boundaries for the entire Air Force, subject to DISA Command Cyber Readiness Inspections (CCRI's) which measure your security posture against DISA STIG compliance.

I then relocated to a local base close to home. At this base I was appointed the Anti-terrorism Officer for my organization, and the (alternate) Information Assurance Manager and Emissions Security Manager. As the Chief of Plans and Resources I not only was responsible for the IA posture, but overseeing the COMSEC, INFOSEC, EMSEC, and COMPUSEC programs. While all are related, and sometimes overlap, they are distinctly different programs and disciplines.

I am currently an IT Consultant and Senior Network Engineer, so as someone in this industry I wouldnt say this is categorically "Information Security". INFOSEC has to do with how properly things are labeled, disclaimed, and safeguarded - take the TMAP (http://cryptome.org/jya/af33/33021900.pdf) program for example.

Just food for thought.

Thomas Jones | Graduate Student | School of Information Studies
http://about.me/othertomjones

Syracuse University
Hinds Hall
Syracuse, New York 13244