[Air-L] teaching social computing / critical social media?

Alison Powell a.powell at lse.ac.uk
Wed Jul 4 02:12:36 PDT 2012

Hi Dan,

I taught a similar course last year at LSE, for MSc Media students - the
content was much the same but I organized the course around the theme of
the transformation of the relationship between the citizen and the
state. The first section was theoretical, the second was empirical (case
studies of transformations including open data and policing) and the
third was methodological.  We spent a lot of time working with Scott
Lash's ideas about post-hegemony, especially as they might apply to
different forms of mediated citizenship.

Next year I'm thinking of making the theme civic hacking, and include
more on making, what you call 'getting stuff done' and something on
citizen science.  I'd be interested to know what readings you were
working with . . . maybe we could even organize a joint event or
symposium for students??

Alison.