[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 96, Issue 7

Marie Boran m.boran at deri.org
Fri Jul 6 05:05:30 PDT 2012

Hi Charles,

I myself am interested in the notion of search engine neutrality and there is a lot of literature around this. It has become especially significant in an era of personalised search. You've probably read Halavais' Search Engine Society and Pariser's The Filter Bubble. I also came across plenty of good papers on the subject when I was writing my dissertation on personalised search, climate change science and confirmation bias. There is, to some extent, still the assumption that newspapers and traditional media are inherently biased while search engines merely index and deliver links as a neutral middleman. I have my references (and dissertation) squirrelled away in a folder somewhere and can send them on to you if you like.

Best,

Marie Boran
PhD candidate - DERI, NUI, Galway.