[Air-L] Technology as ideologically neutral?

Cristian Berrio Zapata cristian.berrio at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 19:58:55 PDT 2012

Hi Meryl:

Very interesting reflexion.

I believe we should not forget that we talk about technology in a
globalization context that pressures more and more local cultures, which
are not currently valued. My elder brother is also a sociologist-folklorist
in the north of Colombia. He is being fighting for 30 year to introduce
this "weird idea" that community tradition must be kept as a treasure.

We all are more globalized. I am Colombian, studied at a school run by
British, grown adult in Argentina and now, I live in Brazil. Sometimes I
have the feeling I do not know where the hell I am from.

We are more penetrated by global media. Someday, I was having breakfast
with my children and suddenly I found, we talk more about what it is shown
in Fox and Warner channels that what might be occurring in Bogotá.

You raised a hard personal debate in this context: to what extend can we
separate our view from the facts of those we see? I believe in the end what
we do is to “negotiate meaning”.

It concerns me that ICT, as machine, has a huge power of repetition and
massiveness. Then, negotiate meaning with whom? This cannot deny all good
that ICT have done and may do but, it raises again the problem of
technology control. Berners-Lee book about the Web has interesting insights
on this but, he leaves our hopes of a free web lasting on the idea that
nobody can control it…(????)

--
*Cristian Berrío Zapata*