[Air-L] trolls and Aspergian "sufferers"

Terri Senft tsenft at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 13:13:38 PDT 2012

Thomas,

 Let me try to be crystal clear, here: my objection to the autism
language in the trolling thread has nothing to do protecting people
from hurt feelings, being the "PC police," or whatever you'd like to
toss next my way.

My problem , and continues to be, the sloppy thinking currently
transpiring here. This thread on trolling began in good faith, with
references asked for and received. Somewhere along the line, it
devolved into armchair pathologizing. I'm sorry you feel our analysis
as "scathing" but not every thought that is cool on Facebook or Quora
or Usenet or OKCupid should fly here unsupported.

To your earlier question regarding CMC (do people still say that?) and
"internet autism syndrome." Regardless of what Jason Calcanis or
anyone else from the Silicon Valley Reporter opines, "internet autism"
is NOT a syndrome, or even a disorder, in any sense of hard or social
science I know. There is no documentation to demonstrate it is,
outside of "I once knew a guy" stories.

Frankly,  from where I sit, it doesn't look to be much more than a
catch-phrase for "behavior that seems anti-social and freaks me out,
because I don't operate like that." In this way, it's not unlike
"internet voyeurism," or  "internet exhibitionism" --two other phrases
I've dealt with at length in my publications, some of which take on
Josh Harris, the individual Calcanis cites as his single data point
for "internet autism syndrome."

Here's the thing: Just likenot every person who uses a webcam is an
exhibitionist, and not every person who trolls has autism, or
autism-like behavior patterns, or might know someone autistic, etc.
Use another word, like douchebag, and I'm okay. Just leave words by
which other people identity (or are identified by medical or legal
authorities) Mental health issues are  complicated enough without us
playing fast and loose with the terminology.

Finally ,and for people who do better with analogies, here's one that
replaces a mental health issue with a race/nationality issue. Imagine
a hypothetical conversation that goes like this:

Poster A:  "Internet scamming is complex. Anybody know any literature
that takes this issue on?"

Poster B: "Yeah, you might look at article X, or Y, or book Z..."

(other great suggestions from other folks follow)

Person C: "I have some thoughts on scams off the top of my head...

(insert some thoughts, which poster admits aren't fully-formed yet,  here)

Person D: "You know something I've been thinking about? How lots of
scammers are from Nigeria..."

Person E: "Well , maybe not exactly Nigeria, but West Africa for sure..."

Person F: "You could even say it's a syndrome: Nigerian Internet
Syndrome. The more Nigerians get on the internet, the more scamming
there is, and the more 'regular' people get on the internet, and they
act like Nigerians..."

Person G: "Well, more like West Africans..."

Person X: WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF??????

Person H: Hey, be cool. We're just throwing ideas around. And besides,
it's okay for me to talk like this, because I was West African once,
and boy did I do some scamming.

Of course, then I grew out of it.

Regards,
Terri