[Air-L] Technology as ideologically neutral?

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 06:18:00 PDT 2012

Interesting discussion... It rather parallels some thoughts I've been having
following a great interactiom with staff and students at the Ghana-India
Kofi Annan Centre of Excellence in ICT here in Accra, Ghana.

I was giving them my capsulized "Intro to Community Informatics"
presentation which in this context was focussed rather on how ICTs can
support Economic and Social Development and particularly from the grassroots
(which I guess for the purposes here argues that the the technology doesn't
itself "have an ideology" but rather is a means for the implementation of
whatever ideology is brought to it from the outside...

At that point the conversation rather turned direction and we began to talk
more specifically about mobiles and how they are impacting in
Ghana--95%(coverage), 90% utilization vs. 5% or so fixed line, less for
stationary access to the Internet and so on.

What became clear (to me at least) as we were talking was that all of the
mobile applications that we were discussing--access to market information,
access to weather information, health notices to pregnant women--that sort
of thing were all one to one (or in a pinch many to one) applications; but
in fact, as came out in the discussion, rural villages (Ghana is still
roughly 50% rural) don't function in this kind of individualized (one to
one) information mode.

(An example, in a recent excursion here I happened to notice that the local
artisanal in-shore fishery consists largely of boats with up to a dozen
fishermen and when it comes time to haul in the nets up to 30 or so
villagers may be involved. These folks don't need to know as individuals
what the local price of fish might be in a particular market, or what the
prospect is of a storm and thus the need to haul in the nets, or even how to
handle pre-natal information (since birthing is a village activity not
solely a family one). What is needed are means for the most rapid and
effective form of one-to-many communcation i.e. how to get the information
to all those in the community who need to be able to use it as part of their
collaborative activities. But one-to-many communicatiom for mobiles requires
a fairly significant degree of financial and planning overhead -- certainly
something beyond the interest of most commercial mobile operators. In this
context the conventional(even technologically prescribed) mobile
communications mode i.e. one to one (or many to one) is non-functional or
even potentially destructive.

So the message that I came away with and that I would contribute to this
discussion is less that technology is (or is not) ideologically neutral
(that depends I guess on how you define "ideology"). But rather that at
least in some particular contexts, for some particular purposes, technology
is deeply value laden concerning the nature of one's being in the world
(e.g. individualistic or communal as one example) and that the forces of
technology design combined with the forces of commerce, ideology and inertia
(and in the absence of popular resistance and/or public policy) can be
deeply (and ultimately irresponsibly) reconstitutive of the nature of our
lived world and how we experience and act in this. (But I guess we, who have
read our Harold Innis, and here we should include Marshall McLuhan, would
already know that).

And finally to observe that it seems to me that this form of technology
imposed socio-cultural rerendering is perhaps the deepest "ideological" cut
of all.

Best to all,

Mike
Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Executive Director: Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development
and Training (CCIRDT) Vancouver, BC CANADA

tel/fax: +1-604-602-0624
email: gurstein at gmail.com
web: http://communityinformatics.net
blog: http://gurstein.wordpress.com