[Air-L] Using screen captures in Thesis paper

Porter, James E. Dr. porterje at muohio.edu
Tue Jul 10 05:48:44 PDT 2012

Emily,

The first question I would ask is, Where and how are you planning to publish or distribute your research? If you were using these screen shots in a doctoral dissertation, that's one kind of use -- and one that I would say is more likely covered under educational fair use. If you are planning to use these screen shots in a commercial textbook eventually, that's another kind of use -- less likely to be viewed as fair use. Most journal publishers I know would be reluctant to print screenshots without copyright clearance, or without an indemnity clause in the author agreement. The fact that you have written the company to request permission both helps you and hurts you: Helps you in the respect that it shows a good faith effort to secure permission; hurts you in the respect that it presumes the need to request permission.

Best,
Jim Porter

Hi, Emily and all,

Could Emily make a fair-use argument? Something along the lines
of--this information is publicly available, and for research purposes,
it should be permissible for her to include the screenshots with
proper attribution--I'm not a lawyer or a legal scholar, but perhaps
some that are on this list might be able to comment?

Peter