[Air-L] Using screen captures in Thesis paper

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 09:56:03 PDT 2012

Hi Emily,

It's indeed a tricky situation.  Jim makes some important qualifications
for the fair use argument. I'll just add that Fair Use is a U.S. specific
doctrine, applied as an exception to U.S. copyright law.  So this argument
may not apply to your project, depending on where the data is collected as
well as where you're publishing.  It's worth checking on how copyright is
interpreted in your specific contexts.

I encountered some similar difficulty when wanting to publish screenshots
for an academic journal in Denmark. I write a bit about it in this blog
post http://bit.ly/xQjV4l .  I didn't find a solution, in my case, to allow
me to publish screenshots, but I found some good arguments for why it ought
to be allowed.  A good resource for thinking about this issue is the "Code
of best practices for fair use in scholarly research in communication"
created by the International Communication Association.
http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/fair-use/related-materials/codes/code-best-practices-fair-use-scholarly-research-communication

Annette

Annette N. Markham, Ph.D.
Guest Professor, Department of Informatics, Umea University, Sweden

amarkham at gmail.com
http://markham.internetinquiry.org/

Co-Editor, International Journal of Internet Research Ethics
http://www.ijire.net <http://www.ijire.net>