[Air-L] trolls and Aspergian "sufferers"

Alexander Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:22:57 PDT 2012

Dear all,

Before this becomes far more heat than fire (perhaps we are too
late--shall we change the subject line to citations on research on
flaming?) I just want to insert a friendly reminder that this list
comes with a set of rules that require civility. Those rules are
listed here: http://aoir.org/email-list/

They include the following passage:

"""
Diverse opinions are welcome. The readership of air-l includes people
from a wide variety of professional, disciplinary, methodological, and
national traditions. List participants are expected to respect these
differences. We ask that you maintain a tone of civility and use good
judgment in your posts: disagreements are to be expected, but blatant
rudeness, personal attacks, lack of respect, and monopolization of
air-l to further one’s own agenda are not expected nor will they be
tolerated.
"""

Each message you send goes out to just shy of 4,500 internet
researchers around the world. In other words, if you wouldn't say it
at an academic conference, please don't say it here. This is a good
place to put on your academic pants, and play scholar. There are
plenty of places online that seem far more welcoming to personal
invective and passionate speechifying. If I were writing this email in
those forums, I would word it much differently.

I don't intend to chill discussion, but I would prefer the discussion
were a bit more chill.

Best,

Alex

//
// This email is
// [x] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
// [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
//
// Alexander C. Halavais, ciberflâneur
// http://alex.halavais.net
//