[Air-L] Criteria for proving that online data (especially forum comments) are real?

L. Wynholds wynholds at ucla.edu
Sat Jul 28 15:22:43 PDT 2012

Hi,

In short:

This question highlights the importance of web archives, web archiving
projects, and web archiving software.  There are a number of projects
out there from archive.org to the Library of Congress, but the basic
premise is to both store the content in a verifiable form and in some
cases host it with a trusted 3rd party (e.g. academic or memory
institution).

If you're unfamiliar with web archiving entirely and need a small
number of pages archived, archive-it is a reasonable place to start:
http://www.archive-it.org/learn-more.  If you are looking to use a
substantial number of pages you could consider setting up your own web
crawler or commissioning the use of one at your institution (if they
have one).  Many of the larger universities are running web archives
these days.

-Laura