[Air-L] Internet-based sources and validity

Leslie M. Tkach-Kawasaki tkach at japan.email.ne.jp
Tue Jul 31 07:23:36 PDT 2012

Hi,

I tell my graduate students that if they want to use material from
the Internet -- either citations or as source data -- to either PDF
the page ("Print to PDF" usually works well in this situation) or
use "Scrapbook" or a similar browser-based program to capture the
page.

(If the latter, I caution them to be careful as to how many levels
they capture, and I suggest that they do not change the date/time on the
timestamped folder.)

Then, if they reference that material in their M.A. or Ph.D. theses,
I spotcheck the source. If the source still exists, then no problem;
if it doesn't exist, then I ask to see the PDF or the timestamped
folder. If they cannot produce either to show me, then I strongly
recommend that they find another source for what they want to cite.

Good luck.

Leslie

--

Leslie M. Tkach-Kawasaki, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Email: tkach at japan.email.ne.jp