[Air-L] 'MEN Invented the Internet'?

Deen Freelon dfreelon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 11:15:11 PDT 2012

The thing that bothered me third-most about that lede, after its
flagrant inaccuracy and sexism, is that the issue of who invented the
Internet is irrelevant to the article's content. Venture capitalists
don't invent anything--they tend to leave that to the folks on the
payroll. So that makes the lede inaccurate, sexist, and a red herring--a
trifecta of terribleness. ~DEEN

PS. You may be interested in the recent edited volume "Race After the
Internet" (eds. Lisa Nakamura and Peter Chow-White), which contains an
entire section on "The History of Race and Information."

--
Deen Freelon, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
dfreelon at gmail.com